Donald McLaren Ltd is a privately owned independent funeral directors with offices in Airdrie and Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire. We provide a caring and professional funeral and memorial service to the communities we serve during and after the loss of a loved one. We pride ourselves on the level of service we are able to provide and the traditional values we hold. We believe in offering the highest level of personal service to our customers. To deliver this commitment we intend to remain a fully independent family company.
Four Generations of our Family Caring for Yours
Donald McLaren Ltd Funeral Directors and Monumental Sculptors is the oldest family business in Coatbridge and Airdrie and one of the oldest family funeral directors in the U.K.
Donald McLaren Ltd was founded in November 1912 just before World War I when Donald McLaren purchased “The Royal Stables” from Munro Funeral Directors located at 5 Main Street in Coatbridge. Our first recorded funeral took place on 23rd November 1914 costing approximately 8 pounds 11 shillings for a Horse Drawn Hearse and 6 Horse Drawn Coaches.
His two sons, Donald Alexander in 1927, and Angus in 1928 joined their father in the business. Through their dedication to customer service the company prospered and in 1945 Donald McLaren purchased Dempster’s funeral office at 53 Stirling Street, Airdrie (across from the Airdrie Savings Bank). Included in the sale was a fleet of vehicles and a store of motor accessories. The premises were used solely for making funeral arrangements.
In May 1956 Donald McLaren purchased William D. Patersons Ltd Funeral Directors in Callon Street, just off Broomknoll Street in Airdrie. When Donald McLaren bought this Carriage Hire business he closed the Stirling Street premises. At this time services offered to clients included complete funeral arrangements, hire of funeral cars, wedding cars and taxis.
In 1958 Donald McLaren retired aged 91 and he died three years later. In 1959, the present Chairman, Donald Ian McLaren, known as Ian, joined his father and uncle in the family business. This further enhanced the dedication to customer service and as a result, in 1963 Donald McLaren Ltd of Airdrie moved to new purpose built premises at Hallcraig Street. This was the first custom built funeral home in Scotland and to reduce costs Ian’s father built the garage himself.
In January 1972 Donald Alexander McLaren retired at the age of 70, followed by his brother Angus two years later. Ian bought his uncle’s shares in the business and became the company’s sole owner in 1975. In Coatbridge the premises were proving inadequate for the expanding business and the company moved to a new purpose built funeral home at 45 Sunnyside Road in August 1978 where we remain to this day.
The company continued to prosper and various extensions were added to the Coatbridge premises. These included a state of the art mortuary, beautifully appointed funeral arrangement offices, rest rooms, a service room with seating for 150 people including an organ and a PA system for personal music, and parking for 50 cars.
Ian McLaren semi-retired in 1998 but he remains actively involved in the business in his role as Company Chairman. The business is run by Charles Flannigan, Managing Director and Mr Mclaren’s daughters Carol Kerr, Director and Company Secretary and Julie McLaren, Director. Carol and Julie represent the fourth generation of the McLaren family to work in the business.
In 2012, Donald McLaren Ltd opened a beautiful indoor memorial showroom allowing our clients to choose from a vast selection of top quality granite and marble memorials.
In 2016 Donald McLaren Ltd moved from Hallcraig Street in Airdrie to a new purpose build funeral home in Adam Avenue in Airdrie offering our clients two of the most modern funeral homes in the United Kingdom.
The company has grown from its humble origins in 1912 and today we are one of the largest Independent Family Funeral Directors and Monumental Sculptors in the United Kingdom. Our facilities and services include two modern custom-built funeral homes offering all related professional services and large fleet of modern Mercedes Benz hearses and limousines, including our exclusive Mercedes Benz S-Class limousines. We take great pride in the fact that we create employment for 30 professional, qualified staff who all live locally and understand the needs of the communities we serve.
Donald McLaren Ltd will always uphold the traditions of over four generations of the McLaren family and we promise to offer a first class, sympathetic, professional and personal funeral service at a realistic and affordable price. These traditions are still upheld today and the growth of the company is proof that the quality of our service.
Our founder, Mr Donald McLaren
Mr Donald McLaren, his wife Margaret, their sons Donald (standing, aged 10), Angus (aged 9) and their daughter Janet (aged 6) in our opening year, 1912.
“The Royal Hotel Stables” at 5 Main Street, Coatbridge
Our first limousine car